Thursday, August 23, 2012

Making Lipstick out of Oil Pastels and Chapstick







Today my friend Rebecca and I mixed surprisingly beautiful lipsticks out of pastels! I'd found this instructable:

 http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-lipstick-with-crayons/?ALLSTEPS

and thought I might use some pastels I had laying around to similar effect! My recipe is a bit different because I used chapstick as a base and added cocoa butter instead of using shea butter and jojoba oil.

This is an example of one of the colors I made:




Really opaque, bold, glossy with a creamy feel on the lips, a little sticky but certainly not as sticky as most lip glosses... win!!

Because we had practically no restrictions in terms of available colors, we decided to mix boldly. Rebecca did a lime green, a deep orange and a pastel pink:




The lovely Rebecca sporting her orange shade:







 I went for cool colors, mixing a berry purple, a deep blue and a seafoam green that actually came out a little more like a sky-blue on the lips:




Me with my berry color:

 


 

 
How to Make Lipstick from Pastels and Chapstick

Ingredients:
1 tube chapstick, ideally white/clear (tint will affect lipstick color in the tube and maybe on the lips)
1/2 non-toxic pastel stick, or the equivalent of several colors if mixing
1 almond-sized piece cocoa butter (doesn't need to be exact)
1 drop vitamin E (increases longevity of the lipstick: should last at least 1 year)
Optional:
1 dab zinc oxide (for opacity: check in the baby-care section)




Equipment:
small glass jar
chopstick or other stirring utensil
shallow pan with 1 inch of water in it
knife
small spatula
small container for extra lipstick

Process:
Put the pan with water over a medium flame.
Remove the chapstick from its container by screwing it up all the way, pushing it out, and then using the tip of your knife to dig out any remaining at the bottom. Screw the little pushy chapstick platform all the way back down and put the container aside. Cut the chapstick in half and reserve one piece for a future lipstick project.



Place the other chapstick half in your small jar. Add in the pastel, cocoa butter, vitamin E, and zinc oxide if using.
The water in the pan should be quite hot by now. Turn the heat off and dip the bottom of the jar in the water, stirring with the chopstick until all the ingredients have melted. This should take a couple minutes.
Pour the mixture into the empty chapstick container. Make sure you've returned the mechanism that pushes the chapstick up to the bottom of the container to make room for your liquid lipstick! Pour it to the top, and quickly use the spatula to get any extra out into the chapstick container or, if that is full, into the extra container you have.
Let the lipstick stand for a few minutes to solidify a bit, and then place it in the refrigerator for ten minutes or so to finish setting.

Done! A beautiful new lipstick in any color you wish!


In terms of what pastels to use, I just used this old set I got years ago: it was $4.67 and has a million colors and, most importantly, it is non-toxic!!! You want to make sure that you could eat the whole box and be relatively fine if you're going to be wearing it on your lips.










So that's really it! Hope you try the recipe out! I'll be back soon with pics of each lipstick Rebecca and I made on my lips so you can see how amazing the colors turned out.



Mix Loud =)
Azara


No comments:

Post a Comment